Friday, January 30, 2015

Bicycle Fork Lamp DIY


Keeping with the bicycle theme here is another DIY for you. I must point out this is not my original idea. I believe I first saw this on Etsy.

Let’s get started!


Supplies:

  • Bicycle fork with a front wheel axle and nuts, (road or cruiser bike preferably)
  • DIY Lamp Kit (Walmart or Lowes)
  • Lamp Shade (Walmart)
  • 2x L-brackets (Lowes)
  • Paint for fork
  • Wooden base (I used a wooden plaque from Walmart's craft section)
  • Stain and polyurethane or paint for base.

Instructions:

1)   Remove the fork from the bicycle and the axle from the wheel. 

2)   Prepare base for L-brackets. I wanted to use small L-brackets and for the axle to fit through I had to drill out the L-bracket holes just slightly. Place the L-brackets on the axle and bike fork. Then tighten the nuts. Place the assembly over the center of your base and mark the holes in the L-brackets. Pre-drill these holes.

3)   Clean, sand, and cover the base with stain or paint. I used a dark walnut stain and coated it with polyurethane.

4)   Drill holes for power cord. I drilled holes in the top and bottom of one of the fork legs. You may have to drill a hole in the bottom of the stem. This way the power cord can be run mostly out of sight. Clean up any sharp edges with a file.

5)   Paint your fork

6)   Fasten L-brackets to base along with the bike axle. 

7)   Place bike fork ends over axle. Make sure the fork stem is perfectly vertical. Then, tighten the nuts (very tight).

8)   Run your electrical cord. I used some 
     plastic wiring cover to help protect the cord from sharp edges of the fork.

9)   Install the DIY lamp kit. Instructions are provided with these so I won’t go into detail.

10) Place your lampshade and turn it on! 

Additional notes: 
It’s probably better to buy your lampshade after you’ve completed the rest of the lamp. Another option is to make your own shade. In my last DIY, the Bicycle Wheel Lamp, I made a lamp shade using 2 small bike wheels and chicken wire. I have not attempted to combine a fork with the wheel shade yet but it would be the ultimate bicycle lamp. 



No comments:

Post a Comment