Sunday, February 23, 2014

Thrown Away

Recently, my wife and I bought our first record player. We like visiting antique stores and always run into someone's old vinyl collection. People usually let these go for $1, so over the last few months we picked up quite a few. We set it up near Christmas and first played a Bing Crosby album. My wife exclaimed, "I feel like I'm listening to music for the first time in my life." I agreed. The old record’s resonance brought a new richness and warmth to our home. Honestly, we've had so much more enjoyment listening to vinyl than we ever have with CD's or MP3's. Some of our albums were very dirty and old, but with a little work sound fantastic. These vinyl sellers don't know what they have. It's good to know that while they are being tossed out for next to nothing some of us are putting them to use again. 

In my last post (click here) I wrote about how I brought an original iMac back to life that was being thrown out. The restoration took some time and effort but it was worth it. 

Used with permission from Microsoft
I believe we have a trend of throwing away things that still have purpose. Take people for instance: Homeless, illegal immigrants, convicts, sex offenders, drug addicts, even people dubbed "white trash." Most of these people have either lived a difficult life, made bad decisions, or both. Their history and legal situation may limit their opportunities. (Example: Sex offenders should not be allowed around children and the people they hurt) 

 
But as a basic human being, if we crossed paths with them, knowing their history and status, would we treat them as if they weren't human?
  • Ignoring them if they talk to you
  • Acting as if they don't exist when they are right in front of you
  • Glaring at them 
  • Doing something to hurt them
I understand we have to protect ourselves and our families. I'm not suggesting you put yourself in harm's way and I understand there is great evil in this world. Protect yourself and your family, but don't sacrifice your humanity towards another person, regardless of their past and situation. When we treat others as less than human, we malign both our humanity and theirs. 

Soul probing questions:
  • Judgment - Are we too quick to write certain people off?  
  • 2nd Chances - Do we believe that people can truly change?
  • Mercy - Is there anyone not worth helping?
In general, I think we are quick to judge and throw away, but I'm sure glad God isn't. We have all messed up, but He is patient with us. If we repent of our ways and turn to Jesus, we receive new identities, clean slates. Part of our new identity includes loving all people as you love yourself. Matthew 7:12 is commonly known as the "Golden Rule." So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets, (Matt. 7:12, ESV). 

We are to be people of restoration, hope, and mercy. If you really want to make a difference, I challenge you to not throw people away or write them off so quickly. 
 
 
 
Sources Cited:
 
All Scripture is ESV: The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment