Friday, January 31, 2014

DC Talk, Newsboys, & Audio Adrenaline

These were my favorite artists growing up. I listened to them constantly! I had a Sony Discman (portable CD Player) to take them with me on youth trips and vacations. Lately (about 15-20 years later) I've been doing a lot of work at our church. We're renovating part of an old building to have a larger sanctuary. It needs a lot of work and I'm currently finishing out the ceiling. I made a classic Christian hits playlist with these groups' hit songs a while back and decided to play it while I worked. I found it unbelievably energizing!

DC Talk is my favorite of three bands and their lyrics are loaded with God's principles. For example, let's look at "Just between you and me". It is all about forgiveness.

In my pursuit of God
I thirst for holiness
As I approach the Son
I must consider this
Offenses unresolved
Will keep me from the throne
Before I go to Him

My wrong must be atoned

This is Matt 6:14-15 (ESV), For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.  

The Jesus Freak album is my personal favorite from DC Talk and features other hits such as Jesus Freak, What if I stumble, & In the Light. There's even a funny rendition of Jesus Freak. 

My first Newsboys album was Going Public. It's hit tracks were Shine & Spirit Thing. The Take me to Your Leader album is good too. Breakfast is my favorite meal and they have a song which is all about how there is no breakfast in hell. Audio Adrenaline is terrific too. My first album was Don't Censor Me. Big House is probably the most well know song on it. Later I bought Some Kind of Zombie which I really liked too. 

If you were in a youth group in the mid to late 90's get these CDs or tapes out of storage and turn up the volume!


Sources Cited:
1. DC Talk, "Just between you and me." Forefront 1995, Jesus Freak
2. All Scripture is ESV: The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.
3. Photos courtesy of my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment